02 June 2010

My Birth Story

Leading up to the big day:
I guess the best place to start is from my 35 week appointment. I had a growth ultrasound which showed that baby girl was measuring at about 7lbs 12oz {98-100%tile} with 5 weeks to go until my due date.

After already delivering a big baby, this was not surprising to any of us. My belly had been measuring 5 weeks ahead almost the entire 3rd trimester, so this is exactly what we expected.

I also had my first internal at this appointment as well and we were shocked to find out that I was 4cm and 70% effaced already. Due to my progress, the baby's size, my fluctuating blood pressure, and some hemorrhaging that occurred after the birth of Carter, we decided that it was best to induce at 39 weeks.

But who would think I would make it that far?

I continued to progress at a shocking rate, and by my 37 week appointment, I was around 6cm and 80% effaced. I honestly still can not believe I walked around like that for weeks.

Although I fully expected to make it to my 39 week induction, I was hoping that I would go on my own.

But, at my last doctors appointment at 38w6d, I was given my Induction Orders which literally turned out to be Brynn's eviction notice.

She was being forced out... just like her big brother.

Brynn's Birthday:
My doctor told me that we would be receiving a call from the hospital between 4am-8am on the morning of May 24th to let us know when a bed was ready. However, as I was reading through some of the paperwork she gave me, the hospital sheet clearly said I'd get a call between 5am-8am. After seeing that, I decided to set my alarm for 4:44am {yes, I set my alarm for random times} so that I had time to shower before waiting by the phone.

I barely slept that night. I kept holding my belly and feeling my baby move, knowing that it would all be over soon. I was so excited to meet her but also a little nervous about going through labor and delivery again. My alarm went off at 4:44am and I laid there for a minute before starting the day.

And then my phone rang. At 4:45am.

The hospital had a bed ready for me and wanted me there at 5:30am. That gave us 45 minutes to shower, get ready, wait for my mother-in-law to arrive to watch Carter, and then drive the 15 minutes to the hospital. I didn't expect for it to happen so fast, but now I'm actually glad it did. I had no time to be nervous... we were just really excited to meet our baby girl!

Right before we left, I asked Bob to take one {or two} last belly pics of me...

With the induction orders...
...and the standard belly shot.
Wow, I look tired.

We got to the hospital around 5:40am, filled out some paperwork, and then waited in the induction area waiting room until my bed was ready. I knew this waiting area well... I was there right before I had Carter.

I wasn't nervous at all. I was ready.

The nurse came out and got us at about 6:15am to take us to our room. I got changed into the hospital gown, answered a ton of admission questions, got my IV, and started the Pitocin all before 7am. My doctor came in around 7:30am to check on me. I was still at 6cm and 80% effaced to start. She then broke my water and told me I'd be holding my baby by lunchtime.

She came back at around 8:30am and I was 7cm and 100%.

Though I wasn't in a ton of pain yet, I knew it was time to request the epidural. I didn't want to jump from 7cm to 10cm in no time at all and then have it be "too late" for the epi.

The anesthesiologist arrived at around 9am to give me the epi, but was then paged for an emergency {by my doc!} and had to quickly run off to assist with someone else. He returned to my room around 9:30am to finally administer the epidural for me. It was just in time, because the contractions were definitely painful.

I'm not going to lie... the epi hurt. But it was so worth it. They should warn you that one of the side effects of getting an epidural is wanting to marry the anesthesiologist.


As soon as I got my epi, my nurse {who was amazing... I just loved her!} made me lay down until it started working. She came back at 10am and told me that my doctor got called in for an emergency c-section, so they wanted to keep me laying on my side so that I didn't progress even further and deliver without my doctor present!

I had to lay that way for about 45 minutes to an hour because my doc then had to deliver the baby in the room next door. During that time, I hung out and talked to Bob, my mom, and my sister who were all in the room. We actually had a lot of fun! =)

By 11am, I was able to sit up so that we could let gravity to do it's job. My doctor told me to let her know when I got the "urge to push"... something I never got with Carter.

But, boy did I get it this time.

By noon, my doc came back in to check on me. I was 10cm, 100%, and the baby was "right there." They started setting everything up so that we could get ready to have this baby girl...

I started pushing at 12:13pm.

Everyone told me how wonderful I was doing, but I really didn't believe them. One of my worst fears going into labor with this baby, was having to push for hours. To me, pushing is the hardest part. But, just 5 short minutes later, my baby girl was born...

Brynn Sophia
May 24, 2010
9 pounds 3 ounces
20 3/4 inches

When she let out her first cry, I could not control myself.

There is no better sound in the entire world then hearing your baby cry for the first time. I got to hold her immediately and she was just perfect in every way.

I was finally meeting my daughter.

My doc continued to check me and make sure that I didn't have the hemorrhaging that occurred after the birth of Carter. Thankfully, I didn't and she also let me know that I didn't have any tearing. Wow. I had a few second degree tears with Carter, and that was one of the hardest parts of the recovery process. I was so happy that I didn't have any tearing or stitches this time.

The nurse took Brynn away to be cleaned and weighed. She looked very pale, so they checked her oxygen levels to make sure she was okay. Thankfully, she scored a 98% on the O2 test, however her sugar levels were very low. They let me hold her again before administering another sugar test. Low again. The nurse said she'd give her one more test before calling the NICU.

After about 30 minutes of cuddling with our new little girl, she had another low sugar test and was sent off to the NICU for observation. Although she only spent 4 hours there, it was so hard to watch them take her away so soon after she was born. I really feel for any family that has to have a little one in the NICU for an extended period of time. I don't know how you do it...

We continued to call for status updates in the NICU and Bob took several family members there to see her, but I never went. I didn't think I could handle seeing, not only her, but all of the babies there. I knew I would lose it, so I decided to stay in the room and await her return.

Thankfully she was back in our room sometime around 7pm and Carter was finally able to meet his little sister. What a beautiful moment.

This past week has been a crazy kind of wonderful. I feel great, which is nice because with two under two there really is no time to feel anything but great. People keep asking me if I'm taking breaks and resting. Rest? What's that?

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

post signature


Lacey said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

I actually offered to buy my anesthesiologist dinner - I LOVED him that much when he showed up!

Sarah said...

Aww, what a beautiful birth story! Thanks so much for sharing.

Meredith said...

You have given me hope! You're the first person that I know of who tore with the first, but not the second!

Amy from Lizzy Beth said...

Congrats!!! Shes beautiful!!!!

Jeannie said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on your sweet girl! She is beautiful!

Mandee said...

Congrats!!! What a great story! I actually got tears to my eyes while reading it! I can't wait to meet my baby next month! (We have big babies as well!)I also hemorrhaged with my first, and had some pretty bad tears. So glad things went well with you this time around!

Congrats! :)

sara said...

Sounds like it couldn't have gone better (with the exception of the quick NICU visit of course)...congrats!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! My 2nd daughter was born this past Sunday - May 30th. Isn't it just wonderful!!!

Suzanne said...

I still can't believe you only pushed for 5 minutes! You're my hero!

Kiara Buechler said...

Okay, you weren't kidding about your big belly, that 35 week pic puts my 39 week belly to shame, and people thought I was carrying twins! I commend you for carrying that belly around all the way to 39 weeks!

© jenni from the blog, All Rights Reserved.

Designed by A Grande Life